Sunday, August 30, 2026

Algeria - The Land of a Million Martyrs

 



Dr. Ruwan M Jayatunge 

Algeria is the largest country in Africa and the tenth largest in the world by land area. Arab forces arrived in 647 CE, bringing Islam to the region and shaping its religious and cultural identity.

During my train journey to Turkey, I encountered two Algerians who communicated in Arabic and had a basic understanding of English. Our travel lasted over 16 hours, providing ample opportunity for us to exchange ideas and engage in meaningful conversation.

Engaging in conversation with two young Algerian traders proved to be quite fascinating. They specialized in purchasing goods from Turkey and selling them in Eastern Europe. Both individuals were well-educated and held strong religious beliefs, as evidenced by their practice of prayer during our train journey.

Algeria's cultural landscape is significantly shaped by its historical ties to France, which began with the French invasion in 1830. The legacy of colonialism is evident in various aspects of Algerian life, including language, education, architecture, and legal frameworks. My Algerian friends told me that the French influence has had both beneficial and detrimental effects on the country.

The Algerian War of Independence, fought from 1954 to 1962, resulted in a staggering loss of life, with estimates of casualties ranging from 400,000 to over 1 million. This struggle was spearheaded by the National Liberation Front (FLN) and its military wing, the National Liberation Army (ALN), under the leadership of figures such as Mohamed Boudiaf and Ahmed Ben Bella. Following independence, Ahmed Ben Bella became the first Head of Government, akin to a prime minister, but his tenure was cut short in June 1965 when Houari Boumédiène orchestrated a military coup that ousted him from power.

After viewing the film "The Day of the Jackal," I learned that a significant number of French citizens harboured animosity towards President Charles de Gaulle due to his decision to grant independence to Algeria. In response to this discontent, Colonel Mark Rodan, a member of the far-right faction OAS, sought to assassinate de Gaulle.

In the 1980s, I watched a film titled Edith and Marcel, which tells the heartbreaking story of boxing champion Marcel Cerdan, born in Algeria, and Édith Piaf, the renowned French singer-songwriter and cabaret performer. Set against the backdrop of World War II, the narrative explores their passionate romance during the German occupation. Tragically, the tale concludes with Cerdan's untimely death in a plane crash in 1949, at the age of 33, in the Azores Islands of Portugal. His passing left a profound impact on Piaf, influencing her personal and professional life for years to come.

I found myself captivated by the philosopher Albert Camus, who hailed from Algiers. After reading his novel "The Stranger," I perceived the protagonist, Meursault, as a character marked by apathy. Curious about Camus and his philosophical ideas, I turned to my Algerian friends for insight. However, their deep commitment to Islam left them largely uninterested in Camus's work. I took the opportunity to explain his philosophy of absurdism, which posits that humans grapple with a fundamental conflict between their quest for meaning and the universe's indifferent silence. In response, my friends rejected his ideas, arguing that they contradicted Islamic principles.

During my journey, I noticed that my two Algerian friends engaged in prayer while on the train. Intrigued by their actions, I observed them closely. After completing their prayers, they turned to their right and left shoulders, reciting "As-salamu alaykum," as if acknowledging the presence of someone beside them. This ritual was unfamiliar to me, leaving me quite curious. Upon returning to Ukraine, I spoke with a Syrian Muslim friend about this practice. He explained that Muslims believe two angels accompany them, one on each shoulder, and that the greeting after prayer is a way to acknowledge these celestial beings.

Our conversations revealed significant personal insights, particularly concerning my beliefs. When asked about my religious background, I shared that I was born into Buddhism. I expressed curiosity about my friends' views on Marxism, and given my status as a medical student in the Soviet Union, I disclosed my current alignment with Marxism and Communism, eager to gauge their reactions. One of my Algerian friends reacted with alarm, exclaiming, "Oh my God," and expressing concern for my spiritual well-being. He cautioned that I would face eternal damnation after death unless I sought forgiveness and returned to God, stating emphatically that I would burn in hell. In response, I indicated that I might consider such a spiritual shift upon my return to the Soviet Union.

My 16-hour journey alongside two Algerians significantly deepened my understanding of Algeria and its rich culture. This experience was truly unforgettable for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciate your constructive and meaningful comments

Find Us On Facebook