Pages

Friday, September 18, 2026

Tracing My Life’s Journey Through the Music of the Sutherland Brothers



The Sutherland Brothers, Iain and Gavin, were an exceptional Scottish folk and soft rock duo who gained international recognition in the 1970s, primarily for their exceptional songwriting and a significant collaboration. Their music left a lasting impact on many, including myself, as I first encountered their melodies at the tender age of 10 or 11, instantly captivated by their charm. 

A vivid memory from 1977 recalls a New Year festival in my neighborhood, where a local girl performed "Arms of Mary" with remarkable grace. Their hits, including "Secrets," You Got Me Anyway "Easy Come, Easy Go"" and "Sailing," resonated widely, with Rod Stewart later elevating "Sailing" to new heights. 

In 1978, while at Kandy station, I was delighted to hear university students singing "When the Train Comes" as the train approached. It was an indication that the influence of their music had clearly permeated the upper middle class in Sri Lanka.

During my time studying medicine in the USSR (Ukraine)  at 21, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Sutherland Brothers' music had reached Soviet audiences. One summer in London (1987), I discovered old LPs of their work owned by a relative and attempted to record them onto a cassette. I have encountered fellow fans of my generation in Canada, the US, and Australia who continue to cherish their music, which remains timeless. 

Recently, I reached out to James Sutherland, Ian's son, to share how a boy from a small Asian country grew up listening to his father's and uncle's music, which provided joy and solace during turbulent times. Justin graciously acknowledged my message and expressed his intention to share my sentiments with his mother. 

The music of the Sutherland Brothers holds considerable importance in the history of 1970s rock, highlighting their remarkable songwriting abilities and influencing numerous iconic artists. 

Though Iain Sutherland sadly passed away in 2019, the music he left behind remains beautifully immune to time. They occupy  the hearts of a global generation. The timeless, comforting harmony of the Sutherland Brothers still carries us home.


Dr Ruwan M Jayatunge M.D. PhD 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciate your constructive and meaningful comments