Pages

▼

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Dr. Regee Perera, a Distinguished Sri Lankan Medical Administrator



Recently, I had the distinct privilege of conversing with Dr. Regee Perera, a distinguished Sri Lankan medical administrator and public health expert who has held significant positions, including Secretary to the Ministry of Health and Director General of Health Services in Sri Lanka. Currently, he serves as a Senior Fellow at the independent, non-profit Institute for Health Policy (IHP). Reflecting on my early experiences as an intern in the Sri Lankan health ministry in 1994, I recall Dr. Perera as a strict disciplinarian whose no-nonsense demeanour instilled a sense of apprehension among us. However, my perspective has evolved, and I now recognize his admirable qualities, including integrity and honesty. Regrettably, Dr. Perera represents the last generation of medical administrators who upheld these values without succumbing to political pressures. His courage and vision have significantly contributed to the advancement of the health sector in Sri Lanka, and even in retirement, he continues to inspire young doctors through his blog.

Dr Ruwan M Jayatunge M.D. PhD 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appreciate your constructive and meaningful comments